Representation in Court

It is always best to have an attorney representing you in court. If you cannot afford an attorney, you may contact a legal services provider or the local bar association for a pro bono referral. If you choose to represent yourself in court, you may wish to consult with the following resources for legal information. If you use the forms provided, it is important that you understand the legal burden necessary to obtain relief you are seeking. If you do not state a valid cause of action, your pleading may dismissed at your cost.

The Self-Help Resource Center (SHRC)

SHRC is designed to serve as a starting point for people who must navigate an unfamiliar and complex court system to resolve legal problems on their own. Volunteer attorneys and law students staff the SHRC and provide a number of services to self-represented litigants including:
  • Assistance with court forms
  • Facilitated use of
  • Referrals to free legal aid services
  • Access to case information through Clerk's website
  • Answers to general inquiries about Family Court
The SHRC volunteers provide legal information, but cannot provide legal representation in court or legal advice for self-represented litigants. The SHRC is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., and is located on the fourth floor of the Nineteenth Judicial District Courthouse, located at 300 North Boulevard, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Thanks to the service and support of the volunteers, the SHRC won the 2013 Friend of Pro Bono Award given by the Louisiana State Bar Association.

Other Resources

The following resources are available at the Self-Help Resource Center. Each of the form packets provided below have a corresponding set of instructions. If you have questions or need assistance filling out the forms, please visit the SHRC in person. 

Divorce Forms
Child Support Modification Forms

Custody Forms

Miscellaneous Forms
  • Court Guide - This is a short guide to help you understand basic court rules and procedures.
  • Motion to Reset - This form is used to reset matters on the Court's docket. 
  • Long Arm Process Chart  - A guide on the steps to obtaining service on out of state defendants.
  • Long Arm Affidavit - This form is required when using long arm service for out of state defendants.

Instructional Videos